Tuesday, October 11, 2011

"Preparedness" Plan

When I first started researching, I went to a repository about 60 miles away. It was my first experience with handling records at a specialized site. Staff weren't very helpful. Microfilm readers...as it's said, once you know how to ride a bicycle...I learned how to use those readers in high school and it started coming back to me. Niibauwsh... after I'd been there a couple times, staff hovered, asking if I knew how to work the machine. The last time I was there, I read some books and magazines.  Finally, staff treated me with a little respect.  


Since that first visit, I've been to several sites and haven't felt out of place. I do most of my initial research online now. Not all Research Centers are listed online. You may have to do some hunting to find local museums and historical societies who may have information you need. When I want to look at documents, I already have the information to give to the staff.  I make it a point to ask about rules specific to the Center I'm at.  Rules vary; check upon your arrival.  Be prepared for various reactions ranging from very helpful to negative. I've found it's best to ask at the start of the visit so I can gauge how much/what kind of help I'll get.  I've stood for 15 minutes and have had to hunt down someone just to ask.  Other times, the person is extremely helpful to the point of too much info.  Most are in the middle of these though.


Last December, I was at the National Archives in Chicago specifically to look at a particular set of microfilms.  Turns out the roll there that morning wasn't in the cabinet now.  Disappointed, crabby, I wasn't sure how to feel.  I didn't want to go to all that expense again.  I will have to though.  I can only get at the records I want to see right there. 


I've read quite a few articles about trip planning and tips for research.  I guess I'll have to have a Plan B, C, D and E for the next time.  Heck, why not all the way to Plan Z.  That way, I can explore a little more.  I did look at some of the other films.  I didn't order anything though.  Just looked and read a bit.  I had some other names to look up. Only the names aren't in English and aren't spelled the same from one census to another.  The earliest census available for my tribe is 1860 and reading from one to the other requires looking through hundreds if not thousands of images before getting to the one you want.  After 1900 or so, they started putting the last census number the person was on. That's not always correct but it helps to narrow down your search. 


And pay attention to those indexes, if any.  That will help if you don't have much time.  I generally didn't use those though.  I found some records I wouldn't have found if I'd gone straight to the frame.  And looking through some of the books and old newspapers netted me articles about ancestors. and other persons of interest to me.  Some of those articles gave me backgound for stories I'd heard growing up.  I've got a fairly good picture of life and where my relatives fit in that life.  Now, I will be trying to locate records earlier than 1860 and most of that research will take place in Canada.  Since I don't read French, I'll have to find a genealogist to do that part. Or add learning French, possibly Spanish, to my list of things to do.  Teehee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Children may be reading.