Sunday, October 9, 2011

Family History Movie

For the past couple months, I've been working on a picture history of one branch of my family.  My mom's side is the one I've been mostly working on.  There are a couple pictures of ancestors from 1880's or thereabouts. I have placeholders for a few in the more recent generations.

First off, this nifty little program I got turned out to be not so nifty.  It's great if I actually use the camera's output.  Not so great if I want to do nifty little things like making a slideshow.  I can't find the button to actually start the project. I got all the pictures loaded into the editor, spent time arranging and making sure they were where I wanted them.  Victory or so I thought.  Hunting high and low, checking the program's site, rechecking the help section didn't produce that little button. Now what?

I checked the media center of the already loaded programs on my computer.  Tried HP's Media Smart Photo. The choice of music wasn't to my liking. Next looked at Windows Media Center.  Now I have the pictures in motion.  Did the credits and am now in the process of writing a short blurb for each one.

For the generations that it isn't possible to get pictures, I decided I'd use census images.  Well, I went to my trusty account on Ancestry.com and got the surprise of my life.  They had this nifty little program to help you publish a book, or poster using the documentation you have in your tree.  Great!  til I tried to download the project to use in my movie.

I haven't yet tried to find out if webpages will work in a movie frame.  Somehow that seems a little daunting after the time I've had.  Still, I might investigate further on HP's program.  All I'd have to do would be download some of the music at this website I found where I could use royalty free music for a reasonable fee.

Investigating family history has sent me in several new directions.  Man, I love the great library that I can spend days in.  In fact, Friday's sneak up on me cause I don't remember Tuesdays and Wednesdays.  Still, I think I can find the create movie button in HP.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Children may be reading.