Monday, August 15, 2011

Before Requesting, Please Read

Genealogy can be expensive.  It's also confusing at times.  In the United States, records older than 70 years and younger than 15 years are public and can be searched by genealogists.  Some records such as phone numbers are usually available if you can find them.  Other countries have different privacy laws which are stricter.

One of the most well known records depository is Ancestry.com.  Subscriptions are monthly, yearly and fees are based on where you want to search: United States or World.  Another site is Cyndi's list which lists sites worldwide that helps you with researching.  


After I received those Family Pedigrees, I looked at several sites, checked out the online classes and commenced genealogy.  After looking at different Family Tree programs, I chose to use the Family Tree Maker 2005 program.  Had an interesting time learning how to use this program.  There are still parts of the program that I haven't used yet.  Mostly because Trees can become quite large and I wanted to get a computer just for this program.  I have several photos that I want entered in as many family members program. 


I won't rely on my memory alone.  I have done time lines and most of my life is down on paper.  I do not plan to do this for everyone.  If you ask for one, I will just have you fill one out anyway.  So fill one out.  This could help with memory triggers if you have stories that you heard growing up.  Those that are completed to the best of my knowledge will be included in files.    


Verifying is the most important part of the information I have in the tree.  I try to have at least three records-primary if I can get them, secondary if I can verify.  This means I must have access to the information so I can decide for myself if it is correct.  Problem could be transcription or could be the record keepers error, particularly if non-English was primary language of the person I am interested in.  


  I get copies of records from people that don't have the documentation on it i.e. title, author, file number, page number etc. or the documentation is incomplete.  I've tried to call the NARA office in Kansas City to get the information from a copy of the letter held in their archive.  Just as I thought, I needed the record group, the microfilm number and frame number.  Thus the documentation is incomplete.  Until I can find this, I will not use it for my tree.  There are notes sections where this information can be utilized to point in the right direction. 


The most important tip I can say:  Just because something is written down, doesn't make it correct.  

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Children may be reading.